Anthony's answer is clear IMO although I will just add the following:

Filters are nice but a bad or medium quality filter risks to get you
only into constant image quality problems such as reflections you
wouldn't get otherwise. I'd suggest buying good ones like Pentax SMC
filters, High grade Hoya, B+W or comparable ones.

--
Thibault Massart aka Thibouille