[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< However, I don't think I've ever seen a single lens that is perfectly clean
 inside. >>

There was a Pentax shooter, a retired Nikon Rep from Washington DC (I think),
who gave an interesting commentary to the list a couple of years ago.  I
don't know if anyone saved it...

>From what I remember, he discounted most issues of dust.  He had new lenses
out of the box with minor dust in them... just the process of the lens
breathing.  Some customers even insisted that it be cleaned out.  He got the
tech's to do it, but it made no difference as the dust would be back shortly.
 He never found it mattered in picture quality.

Regards,  Bob S.