You want 300mm-class, close focus, and cheap, all at once? Try a Vivitar
Series 1 200/3.0 (in M42) with an M42 adapter screwed into a 1.4X-S
teleconverter. Close focus: 1.3 m. And at least a half-step better
transmissivity than my Pentax SMC 200/2.5K.

Last evening, Geoff showed my his 300/4M*. Its cute size took my breath
away. Here was a lens that would make my 11-year-old forget the 400/5.6 PKA
that she has claimed as her own. I was all poised to shelve my plans to use
a 1.4 TC on one of my 200s--especially when he coupled it to a 2X-S
teleconverter! Talks about focal-length-to-size envy!

But Fred is right: there are times that a close focus shot sneaks up on
you. That's why, if I had to decide between my Kiron 105/2.8 macro over my
Pentax SMC 105/2.8, I'd probably part with the Pentax (and may do so, soon).

Paul Franklin Stregevsky
13 Selby Court
Poolesville, Maryland 20837-2410
[EMAIL PROTECTED]