In that case, I agree that you should test.
I generally perform two tests. They're not high science, but I can separate the wheat from the chaff.

I have a 13 x 19 high-res print I made that consists of a series of lines about 3/4 inch apart. The center line is twice as thick as the others. With the camera on a tripod and aimed at the center line, I set it up to approximate a 45 degree angle. I set the lens to wide open aperture and in the middle of its zoom range. I then autofocus on the center line and examine the results. This provides a good indication of autofocus accuracy. I think you can find instructions for similar procedures on the web.

To test the flatness of the focal plane and edge sharpness, I shot a rough brick wall off a tripod. I use a bubble level on the wall and camera to set everything up square. I shoot the wall at wide open ap, and at both ends of the zoom's range.

Paul