Desktop Restore looks legit from what I can see and I tend to rule out
a virus as well - it is just not viral behavior - nonetheless you can
do an online virus scan of the setup program at
http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus just to be sure.

Also, have you tried uninstalling Desktop Restore?

Also, if you use for example Spybot Search & Destroy it regularly runs
registry backups so you might be able to restore your registry from
there if the last backup is not too old. Many anti spyware programs do
these backups, also tools like CCleaner / Crap Cleaner.

If all else fails, I have an online support tool so I could take a look.

Cheers
Ecke
(IT tech by day)