"Sorry for the OT question, but the knowledge on this list is incredible. I hope someone can help me."

Here's my original question:

http://pdml.net/pipermail/pdml_pdml.net/2009-October/193785.html

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I've now managed to restore my notebook screen so that it boots into the proper display configuration. Then I created a Restore Point. Tomorrow I'll test the Restore Point to see if it is working. If it is, then I'll proceed to try switching the display again to the external monitor.

I've removed all the display software that came with the monitor. The program that saves desktop configurations is called DesktopOK--a freebie out of Germany. It is virus free. The instructions (such as they are) say that it doesn't install. So it doesn't show up in Add/Remove programs. Would anyone have an idea how to get rid of it? Opening Properties in the desktop icon, it points to Documents and Settings/Administrator/etc., but I can't find any program there--just a folder labeled Desktop, which contains a list of my screen icons. It also installs an icon in my system tray (right side), but msconfig doesn't show anything that I can recognize to stop it.

Thanks again,

Joe