If there's a flex cable my bet is, if it's repairable short of replacing the main board, it's the flex cable.
paul stenquist wrote:

On Oct 7, 2009, at 5:31 PM, Doug Franklin wrote:

Charles Robinson wrote:

Now - since I have a month until the repair warranty runs out, I'd really like to have it checked out. But what do I tell them? "It works sometimes, but sometimes it does x,y,z"? Basically I'm wondering what is the most sure-fire way to ensure that the people at Pentax Colorado (or wherever this flash ends up being repaired - sigh) take note of what I tell 'em and really get it sorted out.. before I'm on the hook for paying to repair it (again).

It sounds like one or more loose electrical connections somewhere. Did you try cleaning the contacts in the hot shoe and on the flash? If not, do so. If so, I guess it depends on how adventurous you are and how easy the flash is to get open.

If it's not the shoe contacts, my first suspect would be the wires/connections that lead from the contacts in the foot up to the circuit board. Those should be easy to fix on the foot end, but likely not on the circuit board end (likely to be a flexible circuit board that would probably be damaged by normal soldering with a typical iron).

There's a plug in between the foot and the leads to the circuit board. However, I think a failure there would be unlikely.
Paul

If it's neither of those, it might well be a cracked trace or weak solder joint on the circuit board, which you can't fix yourself (unless you have a circuit board to swap in).

It doesn't sound like the wiring from the circuit board to the non-camera components, like the tube.

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)

--

The free man owns himself. He can damage himself with either eating or
drinking; he can ruin himself with gambling. If he does he is certainly a damn

        --G. K. Chesterton