On 2009-10-09 14:00 , Michael Gaudet wrote:
According to the NYTimes link that was referenced, the Nobel
Committee based the decision on what Obama *has* accomplished in the
last 9 months:
> [...]
“We are not awarding the prize for what may happen in the future, but
for what he has done in the previous year,” Mr. Jagland said. “We
would hope this will enhance what he is trying to do.”"

there are mixed messages coming from the Nobel committee on this -- Jagland also said "It was because we would like to support what he is trying to achieve."

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8298580.stm>

i gasped with disbelief when i heard it on the radio this morning; it still doesn't make sense to me