LR3 is intentionally disabled from reading LR2 catalogs ... the
release note that came with it says that. This is to prevent people
from using the PUBLIC BETA for production work and damaging their
files. You are supposed to a) DUPLICATE the ORIGINAL files you are
going to TEST it with, and b) create and test with a NEW catalog.
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom3/releasenotes.pdf

This is a test evaluation only release at present. If it is running
poorly, go to the adobe forums that were detailed on the page from
which you downloaded it and in the release notes do discuss it:
http://forums.adobe.com/community/labs/lightroom3/

Public Betas like this are not for everyone. Lots of stuff is far from
final and will not work correctly yet. And they're not for production
work. I've worked with it only a little bit so far, and thus far it
seems to work pretty well on the machine I'm testing it on (MacBook
2Ghz, 2G RAM).

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com