Every time someone chooses one of my pictures as their facebook
profile photo, it's a small stroke for my ego.

It's also interesting feedback on what people consider important in
photos of themselves. The things which we, as photographers, consider
important: focus, exposure, clarity in general, even composition seem
to be almost irrelevant in comparison to capturing a particular
moment, or mood.

Granted, a technically good portrait will trump a cellphone camera and
mirror photo, but it's the moment that seems to be the most
important. As a portrait photographer, I've been finding that "the
moment" is the hardest thing to create.

When I did the set with Garry last week, getting him to tell stories
seemed to help. With Gwen and Tiffany, having one friend take pictures
of the other, let me take advantage of the chemistry they had with
each other. These are things I discovered by accident, but hope to use
in the future. I'm curious what other tricks people have used to "get
the moment"?

I forget who said it a couple weeks ago, but someone made a comment
about the photograph not distracting from the subject, about my shots
of the custom caddy. I'd like to thank them for that, because the more
I think about it, the more important I realize that is.

Larry Colen             l...@red4est.com            http://www.red4est.com/lrc