Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

>On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 9:03 AM, Richard D Bush
><rbushidiog...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> I realize that our digital cameras can do all kinds of in-camera-tricks.
>> Taking to the outside of the camera, has anyone had experience with an
>> enhancing filter? These liven up the reds, oranges and yellows and seem to
>> be an easy way to jack up an autumn scene of falling leaves in all their
>> glory.
>>
>> If so, maybe you could send me a couple of fall shots with this filter
>> screwed to the front of their favorite lens.
>>
>Why not just up the saturation and contrast in the camera (if
>recording JPEGs) or in the RAW converter? Dispensing with filters in
>most circumstances is one of the bonuses of working with digital
>capture ... you don't need them for most such effects.

I second Godfrey's suggestion.

I have one of those filters and found it of very limited use even back
in the film days. Too difficult to predict what the result is going to
look like (the human eye/brain does too much compensating when looking
through the filter). They tend to make skies look really weird, so you
need to keep sky out of your image. Some colors they enhance too
little and some too much (I have a lot of slides that I had to scan
and desaturate significantly because of one of these filters).

Save your money for something useful like a nice bottle of wine. :)