In a message dated 11/17/2009 6:56:11 P.M.  Pacific Standard Time,
l...@red4est.com writes:
I wonder if there could be a  situation where one color is so much
brighter than all of the others, where  you might use a filter to cut
it down, so that you can get closer to a normal  white balance without
clipping that channel.

It would probably be some  weird lighting situation like a concert
where they use three red lights and  two green ones.

I've shot in some places lit with red rope lights,  usually converting
the shots to B&W. I've wondered if things might come  out better if
they were lit with green rather than red. IIRC, there are twice  as
many green sensor sites as red.

I've been  finding the dropper tool in Lightroom rather useful. You use it
to click on the  thing in the photo you want to be the base white. (I am
sure there are better  Lightroom terms for all this.) Resets the color. Works
before conversions too. I  just recently "discovered" it.

Marnie