Christine Aguila wrote:
Hi Everyone: In early Oct, my husband & I took a drive down Rush St.; I hadn't been there for years. I tended bar on Rush st. for several years at a place called The Hangge Uppe, and it's still there, though much has changed on the street. Anyway, I took this pic--a real drive-by, though I was stopped at a stop sign. The original pic is a mess--at 2500 ISO it's grainier than an Iowa silo, and it has enough of those pink & blue artifacts to give a digital archeologist an orgasm. I think those 3 lights in the background biased the metering causing the original pic to underexpose--hence the grain/artifact issue when trying to brighten it up.

Since Oct, I've been rendering the heck out of it, and tonight I think I've finally settled on this rendering. Interestingly though, just now I printed this pic on some Illford Gold Fiber Silk, 8 1/2 x 11, and it looks A LOT less grainer than this digital version.

http://tinyurl.com/ygzuu7m

http://www.caguila.com/caguila/rushstcouple/content/20091010__IGP5336_large.html

Comments welcome.
Cheers, Christine

I don't normally comment twice on a PESO, but the more I think about it, the more I like Christine's photo, and for the same reason I'm floored by Juan's book. OK, there is an above average level of skill involved (don't be modest, Christine, that is a lovely B+W conversion), but that isn't the reason why I like it. It's like an after-show jazz session that has about 3 people in the audience. It's unpretentious, momentary and doesn't need to call attention to itself. There is no "I'm making a great potentially-misunderstood statement here, so you'd better listen" - it's an instantly accessible photo. And there is the element of the unexpected. Bringing those elements together...well done.

der...@iinet.net.au
http://members.iinet.net.au/~derbyc