> Thanks for posting, Frits.  You know, I'm going to go back
> and "listen" to all the commentary by Platon.  Of the few I
> did listen to just now, I felt I really learned a lot, and I
> thought it might be fun to draw on this project to create a
> kind of homework assignment for myself---that is, set up  a
> simple light scheme, get some friends and family to queue up,
> then call them one by one for portraits and shoot under a
> very short time frame.  Could be interesting.  Maybe over
> Christmas break.  Thanks again, Frits.  Cheers, Christine

Richard Avedon had a similar look to many of his portraits, and his
technique is interesting and may be worth emulating, although it is
certainly not a short time frame. Perhaps along with Irving Penn's use of
natural light.

Penn would set up a backdrop outdoors, with only natural lighting and
perhaps a reflector, and place his subjects in front of that.

Avedon put his camera on a tripod, of course, and used a very long cable
release so that he wasn't stuck behind the camera. His assistant would
change the plates when required, but we have plenty of storage and
automatically-reset shutters. Avedon would have his subjects in front of the
camera for about an hour, and neither he nor the subject were allowed to
speak. Avedon would simply observe and take pictures of the subject's
reaction to the camera and his behaviour during that long time when,
presumably, he revealed whatever it was that Avedon was interested in.

Bob