From: Joseph McAllister
On Dec 9, 2009, at 12:25 , John Sessoms wrote:

> This is a backup optic for some "scientific" package that went into > space. Bet it was one of those CIA spy satellites they could use to > read the numbers off a license plate from orbit.

Take the Hubble. Turn it earthward. Load it up with antennae for all freq's of communications. Attach a SLIR and FLIR package, and multispectral sensors. That's what they are looking at your license plate with.

<http://www.spacetoday.org/Satellites/YugoWarSats.html>

Not the most accurate currently, but a good general overview of what we've been doing for the last 50 years.

Well, I was kidding about it being from a CIA satellite. Don't expect to see those cameras on ebay within my lifetime.

But thinking about it, it could be the backup optics for the kind of earth resources satellite camera that took the photos used for Google Maps and the like.