On Dec 10, 2009, at 2:14, mike wilson wrote:

> Charles Robinson wrote:
>
>> Last year (2008) I totally screwed up and lost (yes, lost) a whole month's
>> worth of images due to inconsistencies in my backup process.
>> I realized just recently that all of the 1:1 previews from May of 2008 are
>> still in my Lightroom database (despite a setting which says to remove them
>> after a month!).
>
> Glad that this worked out for you but it demonstrates cleary what I loathe
> about Adobe products.  Why should this programme _duplicate_ the full image
> file?  Utter bloatware behaviour.

I don't know why the duplicates sat around, but... the idea is that it
duplicates it for a set amount of time (1 day, 1 week, 1 month).  This is handy
when you want to look at an image and the original is "offline".  The
"previews" are supposed to be cleared automatically, but clearly I had
something screwed up.

Other than that... there are other pieces of software which suck much harder in
that department.  Apple's iPhoto, for example, has duplicates
left-righ-and-sideways.  Horrible, horrible stuff.

I love Lightroom so much for handling my images, I can't imagine having to do
it any other way now.  Especially handy is the (bloatware, whatever) small
thumbnails which stay in the database even when your 4-year-old images have
long been archived off to discs that are on a shelf somewhere.  Need to find a
copy for a friend?  Pull up the image and LR will tell you which disc you need
to mount in order to process/duplicate the image.   Too too too darned handy.

 -Charles

--
Charles Robinson - charl...@visi.com
Minneapolis, MN