Makes sense even though it is not obvious.
Focusing distance is measured sensor plane to subject, working
distance front element to subject. I have a Canon FD 4/200 Macro
spec'd at 58 cm focusing distance but the lens extends so much when in
macro that working distance is a mere 19 cm. Still way better than my
DFA 50/2.8 in close combat =)
Cheers
Ecke