Paul Ewins wrote (or was that "architected"):

> Try working in IT - they are worse than politicians for mangling English.
> The one that I hate the most, the one that really makes me grind my
> teeth is "architect". Not the noun, the verb. To architect something is
> what a systems architect is hired for. So he/she goes off and starts
> architecting the new system, and when it is finished they do a review
> to makes sure it was well architected. Honest, I have heard all of these
> bastardised versions of the word used in just those ways.  Architecting
> seems to be a higher level process than designing....

Sing it with me now, Paul....
"A gerunding we will go,
A gerunding we will go,
Hi ho the derrio,
A gerunding we will go!"  :-)

This noun-to-verb thing really gets my goat also.  I say we let the Duchess
beat them about the head with a wet copy of Strunk and White until all the
****ing gerunds fall out of their day planners.  Aarrrgh!!

Bill Peifer
Rochester, NY