For the utmost in stability, if you get a tripod with an extendable center colum, don't extend it. Get the right height tripod (tall enough so you don't have to bend over). Better yet get a tripod w/o the center column and you'll save more weight.

Kenneth Waller
http://www.tinyurl.com/272u2f

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob W" <p...@web-options.com>
Subject: RE: Carbon Fiber Tripod Recommendation?

I am thinking about getting a carbon fiber  tripod. My
current one is too heavy, so I rarely use it (always makes me
think  that standard tripods are a "guy thing" -- i.e. lots
of upper body strength to  lug around).

Want light, want one that goes fairly tall (I am tall), and
one that collapses to a fairly short length.

And I want to keep it around  $300 max.

Don't want a lot, do I? ;-)

I've been looking online and  the Velbon El Carmagne seems
doable. My hesitation is that I have a Velbon  non-carbon
fiber now and don't like it much (admittedly it was only
about $70).  I mean it's okay and workable, but the pan and
tilt head moves even after I have  it clamped all down and I
have found that highly annoying. I don't like ball  heads much.

Anyone have experience with it or some other that they can  recommend?

No experience with this, but some comments.

You should be able to get the head separately from the legs, and choose the
head you want. You have to spend a bit more to get a pan/tilt head that
doesn't shift slightly when you tighten it. At the price you're looking at I
would expect to be able to choose the head separately from the legs.

The legs you're looking at have 4 sections, and this can be a bit of a pain
to put up and down. It also tends to mean that one of the sections my be a
bit thin and weak. I prefer to have 3 sections because it's easier to handle
and stronger, although longer when folded.

Bob