This is why I think a m43 system makes a nice complement to a DSLR system. It's
not that hard to stick one in a camera bag.

-----Original Message-----
From: frank theriault <knarftheria...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 06:48:22
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List<pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: GESO: On Low Light

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 3:01 AM, Ira Bryant <irabry...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I don't think you are being fair.

I wasn't really being unfair so much as ignorant.  I simply didn't
take into account the difference in sensor sizes.  Having been made to
realize that explains why the DA 21 is slower.

>  It is true that the DA21 is about the same size as the Lumix 20mm, but the
> >Pentax lens is for a larger sensor. Two lenses, both the same size at about
> the >same focal lengrh should have the same speed. However, if one lens has
> to >cover a larger area, there is something that has to give. Pentax chose
> that >something to be speed. They could have chosen a larger physical size
> keeping >the same focal length and speed, or a longer focal length keeping
> the same size >and speed.  But they did not.  They chose the same physical
> size and focal >length with a slower speed.

Understood.

> I understand that some people prefer a larger lens to a faster lens.  That's
> why >some people buy the DA14 rather than the DA15. There is not really a
> "correct" >choice.

Agreed.

> The answer to your question is that Pentax could have chosen to make a larger
> >lens, but they didn't want to.  As someone who has lived in Japan, I can
> attest >that the Japanese have an obsession with making things smaller,
> rivaling >America's obsession with making things larger.
>
> As I stated not too long ago, I love the DA21.  On paper it looks like a
> terrible >lens.  I can understand why someone calls into question purchasing
> a prime lens >with more barrel distortion greater than the kit lens.  After
> actually owning it, I >can say that the colors that it produces are worth way
> more than the time I >spend correcting barrel distortion in Photoshop, if I
> even bother.

That's a ringing endorsement for the lens.  I'll probably end up
getting one because for daytime shooting it would suit my purposes
very well.  Still, too bad it's not faster.

> I own a K100D Super, though.  I don't really see a reason for someone who
> owns >a K10D or a K20D to want a pancake lens. Those bodies seem like
> mistakes, or at >the very least "best we could do" bodies for Pentax. With
> the K-m, K-x, and K-7 >though, Pentax at least has a consistent strategy with
> their body and lens lineup. >With these bodies, the DA21 shines.

Since I shoot with a *istD, the size of the DA 21 would complement the
camera perfectly and make for a very innocuous street camera.

> If Pentax can keep things small and incrementally add weather resistance to
> all >of the lenses in their lineup, at the very least they will dominate the
> home >market, which is all they really need to do. (To be honest, how many
> Japanese >stocks do you personally own?)

I don't own any stocks of any description.  Hopefully I'll soon own a
DA 21, though...

;-)

Thanks for your thoughts!

cheers,