I'm completely convinced "normal" lens focal length, for me, is about 65 to
70mm.  Does anyone feel the same?  I was sitting in my spare bedroom the
other nite, camera and FA 28-70 1:4 lens (that my coworkers got me for
Christmas!) just kind of zooming in and out, when I noticed that my "field
of view" in my free eye matched that of the lens at about 65mm.  It's pretty
close to normal, but not too close.

Chris

Mike wrote:
A 50mm can be used either as a slight "wide angle" or a slight "telephoto"
depending on the way you see with it. I have an exercise where I give
students a small stack of prints and ask them to separate the ones taken
with a 35mm from those taken at 70mm. They find this exercise relatively
easy, the trick being that ALL the pictures were taken with a 50mm.

However, 50mm does tend to rope you into "seeing" a little longer. That is,
to concentrate on single, central subjects and not thinking in terms of
organizing broader scenes into pictures. For that, it can get a bit cramped
sometimes. 43mm is a very relaxed but realistic angle of view. Shame there
aren't more lenses in betwixt and between 35mm and 50mm.