2010/1/3 Bob W <p...@web-options.com>:
> I think it's the PDML maths professor you want though. However, you can
> expect some very different reactions to this picture - even though I failed
> O-level maths I think I'm correct in saying that fractal functions both
> attract and repel.

You'd need a field mathematician. :-)

If you stay a while at the beach you can actually see these patterns
form before your eyes. Running water will flush out more sand where it
finds an edge to begin with, because the water will speed up over the
edge, and the edge grains will be more exposed to drag from the water.
It may begin where there is a turbulence, like in the wake of the
stone, for example.

As to the treelike shape of the pattern, I don't know if it's just the
decreasing force of the water as wave or tide retracts or that the
force is gradually spread over a larger area, but I suspect both. It's
a fairly standard erosion pattern. If you use Google Earth, you can
see the same patterns on a larger scale in most mountaineous areas.
Particularly in arid places that experience flash floods. The same
kind of erosion patterns on Mars is convincing evidence for past
existence of water there, according to NASA.

I don't care much about the maths though. :-)

Jostein

--
http://www.alunfoto.no/galleri/
http://alunfoto.blogspot.com