For all you distant travelers thinking about coming to Chicago in May...
Chicago is a big city of 4+ million with all the associated +/- stuff.
It's a marvelous city set on the shores of a giant fresh water lake.
But, it's in the middle of the USA - 2 hours flight time to New York City or
Washington DC - 3.5 hours to Calfornia and the west coast.  There's no
dropping into Los Angeles for the day from here.

Chicago grew from a small village in the 1850's because of it's central
location and the growth of railroad transportation and farming.  Chicago
sits at the eastern edge of the Great Plaines - now states like Iowa,
Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois - some
1,000 miles planted in corn, wheat, soybeans, etc. and originally
treeless prairie.

Milwaukee is the nearest city (1.5 million souls) a 1.5 hour car ride north.
St. Louis is similar in size but 6 hours southwest and on the Mississippi River.
Until the railroads, transportation was North/South along the Mississippi.
Public transit between cities is mainly via cars.  The public rail transit to
other cities is nowhere near European expectations.  We fly or drive.

I tell you this because you might like to see some of the midwest outside of
the metropolitan area.  I would consider renting a car and driving down to
St. Louis, or Davenport Iowa (just across the Mississippi), or Milwaukee.
It's simple to travel on the interstate highway system and stay at a Motel
(motor hotel).

I have to think more about activities I would recommend in Chicago.

Regards,  Bob S.