John Sessoms wrote:
At my weekly brunch this morning someone mentioned a small free-ware application called the Photographer's Ephemeris. Requires Adobe AIR, which I think you should already have if you're using Photoshop or Lightroom.

http://stephentrainor.com/tools

I downloaded the program and am taking a first look - haven't even finished reading the instructions, but I'm already impressed enough I thought I'd pass it along.

It uses Google maps and locates a point on them. You can place the point around anywhere you want it. It's not locked to the streets like streetview is. I plugged in my own address and it locates the point right in the middle of my property.

FROM your chosen point it shows a graphic line to the sunrise, sunset, moonrise, moonset for any chosen date, along with the times, azimuth and percentage of illumination for the moon.

There's an advanced view that allows you to show the line to the sun and the moon for any time during a chosen date.

Want to know where you need to stand to get the full moon framed by the mile high swinging bridge at GFM? What time and what dates?

Want to know if you can get the sunrise framed in the attic window?

You want to catch the full moon (quarter moon, new moon) rising or setting over some landscape feature?

The program can tell you exactly where to stand (within the limits of google maps ~ a couple of meters most places.)

The only lack I'm aware of is it doesn't appear to have a print function, but I was told you can use "print screen" function under Windows (or however the Mac does it) and paste it from the clipboard).

Nice find. I passed it along to the dpreview Pentax forum. Thanks.