Rick,
I listened to that Jai Maizel (sp?) interview posted here and he
mentioned high ISO getting him sharp, well focused images at the
expense of having pretty pixels.  I thought I'd give it a try.  I
cranked up the speed for a dawn shoot a few days ago and left it
alone.  I wanted to have some experience with higher ISO.  I have been
pleased so far.

Here's a crop from a sun-up shot from 1/5/10 (2872x1908 pixels).  It
was too dark to show much color, but Lightroom can pull stuff out of
it.  This doe was barely visible and barely in color to my vision.  No
noise ninjas at my house either, so this is how it looks out of the
camera.  I would like less noise, but it was dark out, dark enough to
turn my automatic car headlamps on.

http://picasaweb.google.com/rf.sullivan/Winter2010#5424595208230045058

K-7 with DA60-250/4 @ 250mm and f7.1 @ 1/20th & ISO 1600

Regards,  Bob S.