Sandy Harris wrote:
I'm on a limited budget, looking for fairly lightweight travel
combination. I have a fairly strong bias toward primes, though just
getting the 16-50 as a single lens does tempt me some.

My last good camera (stolen some time back & not yet replaced) was an
MX and on it, I used the 85/1.4 for at least 75% of shots and a 28 for
most others. I had the 40 mm pancake and a teleconverter, didn't use
either much. So this one will be a K-X with the 58/1.4 Voigtlander.
Comments on that choice appreciated too.

What I really want to know, though, is what can folks suggest as a
wide angle to go with that? Zeiss is beyond my budget and a 12-24 or
10-20 zoom too heavy. I need a good prime, around 24 mm, at a moderate
price. The Pentax 21/3.2 Limited and Sigma 24/1.8 are obvious
possibilities; either might suit but I'm not sure either is ideal for
me.

What else should I be considering? Checking Pentax's site, I don't see
a 24/2 or 24/2.8 among current offerings.

Very very late on this, but despite the naysayers, I've had pretty good experience with half a dozen Sigma EX lenses. The 20/1.8 is my favourite widey for gig shots (have a PDML Book submission taken with it), and I'd say the 24/1.8 is a tad more useful than the FA24/2. May just be luck, but in extreme lighting, the Sig 24 is sharper, has less PP, and focuses slightly closer.

der...@iinet.net.au
http://members.iinet.net.au/~derbyc