On my drive home from the dojo I noticed how potentially photogenic the railroad tracks through the redwoods were in the rain. I suspect that there is a wealth of photographic opportunity in the state park that is nearly across the street from my house.

However, I don't have any DA* or WR lenses. I've heard that with primes, the weather isn't nearly the problem that it is with zooms, but that could have just been wishful thinking.

How serious is the risk to lens and/or K20 if I mount a prime and go traipsing through the redwoods in moderate rain?

Would it help to take a rubber band and put it around the base of the lens to try and make an external seal?

My guess is that my DA40 might be the safest lens to use because it has less area to collect water, and also it doesn't have an aperture ring.