Thursday, January 17, 2002, 5:16:37 AM, Mike wrote:
>> I was sitting in my spare bedroom the
>> other nite, camera and FA 28-70 1:4 lens (that my coworkers got me for
>> Christmas!) just kind of zooming in and out, when I noticed that my "field
>> of view" in my free eye matched that of the lens at about 65mm.  It's pretty
>> close to normal, but not too close.

MJ> Chris,
MJ> That depends entirely on finder magnification. It doesn't really have
MJ> anything to do with the field of view you find most comfortable.

To elaborate: finder magnification of newer bodies is about 0.75x so
0.75x65mm=49mm, pretty close to "normal" 50mm. With older bodies,
which had higher magnification, around 0.85x-0.9x was the norm I think in
the good old days, notice that Exakta's normal prime lens (first cine
SLR I think) was 58mm, to allow easy viewing with both eyes open. That
would mean Exakta had 0.85x magnification. The abundant 55mm (Pentax
too) is meant for the K series with 0.9x magnification.

Now somebody can elaborate on why 50mm is considered normal ;-)

(I think there are two reasons - 1) technical: eyes have 20 diopter
vision normally, that means the little lens we have, when at ease, has
20 D=50mm focal length; 2) experimental: we see most easily about the
same FOV as 43-50mm lenses do on 24x36 frame /very roughly/. Of
course, I could easily be wrong.)

Good light,
   Frantisek Vlcek