As you may have heard, we've been having a spot of weather lately. Tuesday Morning at about 8:30AM a tree took out some powerlines a couple hundred yards down the road. It has now been about 42 hours, and PG&E says that they might have power restored by 11PM on Thursday. Last night, the crews went out and repaired the wires. I thought it would be a fun technical challenge to try to get some photos of them working at night:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157623254140926/

It turns out that the 8 year old RV battery that ran my UPS is now an ex-battery. It also turns out that it weighs 123 pounds, which explains why it was so difficult to lug up and down those steps. Fortunately, when I took it over to a friend's house to charge it today, I also had a marine battery, so, when I got home tonight, I was able to run my computer for a bit.