Wasted a little time this afternoon in my local independent camera store.

There wasn't a lot there I was interested in, as they can no longer order direct from Pentax. But I keep going in because they are a souce for other items I want/need, and they do occasionally have used Pentax gear.

They're now stocking the Sniper Sling & the Black something-or-other RH-4, RH-5 & DH-1 straps that were discussed here a couple of days ago, so I got to play with them a little to see what they're really like.

One thing I didn't know, that didn't come up in the discussion here, and I didn't see on the web sites - the Sniper Sling has a steel cable embedded in the strap so no one is likely to sneak up behind you, cut the strap, grab your camera and run off with it. The guy behind the counter said that is apparently a street crime problem in some places. Something I hadn't really thought about before.

Anyway, after wasting about an hour of their time, as I was getting ready to leave, I noticed something sitting in one of the display cases behind the counter and asked to see it - Vivitar 285HV strobe.

The Strobist loves 'em, and it was my small format instructor's favorite off camera flash.

When he handed it to me, there was no price tag on it, so I offered him $75. He said that sounded fair to him, so I've added another 285HV to my equippage. That makes 3.