----- Original Message -----
From: gfen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 8:40 PM
Subject: Re: Odp: B&W and filters and C41 B&W film

> On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, [iso-8859-1] Artur Ledóchowski wrote:
> > How about the new Kodak baby - Portra 400 BW? I also like the Ilford XP2
400

> Again, I'm completely clueless on the C41 B&W stuff.. how many different
> brands are there, and who has a favourite.. and why? :)

In October 2001 issue of "Practical Photography" there was a test of C41 B&W
films. Theese are conclusions for each film (five criteria each of 20 pts
max -> total max. = 100 pts). John Clements was the one to write the
article.

They say to have shot a range od subjects for their test, including outdoor
scenes and studio shots with a good tonal ranges. Films were processed in
two different facilities in different parts of the market. First was "Boots"
where negatives were printed onto Fuji Crystal Archive colour paper. Other
was "Joe's Basement" (reffered to as a pro lab) which printed on Agfa colour
paper.

* Konica Monochrome VX 400
- Price: L(British Pound) 5.49 (36 exp.)
- Neutrality = 18 pts. "The type of colour paper used may affect this, but
our results had no noticeable colour basis."
- Grain = 15 pts. "Grain was more obvious when prints were enlarged to
10x8in and above with certain subjects."
- Contrast = 16 pts. "No problem in normal and contrasty light, but avoid
flat illumination and low contrast subjects unless you want to up the grade
of paper and/or dodge and burn."
- Exposure latitude = 17 pts. "I was not disappointed here. Like our other
films, anything up to +3 stops printed fine without too much trouble, but
going beyond -2 stops and the image suffered with prominent grain."
- Value for money = 16 pts. "It's not the best value but used in the right
way under the right conditions and it will rightly have its stream of
devotees"
- Total score: 82 pts.
- PP Verdict: "This Konika is a good quality film that's well worth a try,
particularly with people pictures."

* Kodak T400CN
- Price: L3.59 (36 exp.)
- Neutrality = 18 pts. "Nice. No problems with a significant colour cast on
prints on colour paper."
- Grain = 18 pts. "Not bad, until you underexpose lots."
- Contrast = 18 pts. "I like this film's look. It's a good choice for people
pictures and general photography."
- Exposure latitude = 18 pts. "Excellent. Everything from +3 to -1 1/2 in
our test and the negatives printed well with plenty of detail."
- Value for money = 18 pts. "It's very good value and a fine performer. But
if you want the very best possible, get your masterpieces printed on black &
white paper."
- Total score: 90 pts.
- PP Verdict: "This is a mono film that can be thoroughly recommended. It
has no obvious weakness and many positive aspects. It's definitele one to
try and it was one singled out as the best by most people who saw the
results."

* Kodak Portra 400BW
- Price: L23 (5 rolls of 36 exp.)
- Neutrality = 18 pts. "A natural looking set of results was achieved."
- Grain = 19 pts. "Realy good on this score. Grain is fine and smooth, so
it's not obvious even on large prints."
- Contrast = 18 pts. "There's a lot to be said for the inherent contrast
level which will suit numerous subject and lighting conditions."
- Exposure latitude = 18 pts. "The latitude is wide and only after -2 1/2
stops did things look like hard work in the darkroom. That said, if your
metering's really dodgy even -3 stops can give a half-decent print."
- Value for money = 18 pts. "Expensive but good value, bearing in mind the
quality of the results."
- Total score: 91 pts.
- PP Verdict: "This film comes in packs of five and can be difficult to
find, but it's strongly recommended."
Best in test

* Ilford XP2 Super 400
- Price: L4.30 (36 exp.)
- Neutrality = 16 pts. "This film gave prints that were on the neutral to
slightly cool side."
- Grain = 15 pts. "I thought it was too prominent - at least for our test
subjects."
- Contrast = 18 pts. "This looks quite high and adds punch to the shots."
- Exposure latitude = 16 pts. "I like the look of the negative but -1 1/2
stops is the limit before things get difficult."
- Value for money = 16 pts. "Pricing is reasonable but the prints were not
the best in this test."
- Total score: 81 pts.
- PP Verdict: "If you're looking to get close to traditional black & white
films and you don't mind a touch of grain then this could be the film for
you. It didn't produce the best prints with our portrait here but it could
be useful for other subject matters."

* Kodak Select 400 (on the photo the box is marked Black & White +)
- Price: L4.30 (36 exp.)
- Neutrality = 17 pts. "A pleasant, non-problematic balack & white results."
- Grain = 18 pts. "Good. Only at -2 1/2 stops does grain become a problem."
- Contrast = 17 pts. "A nice level that is suitable for general photography
and doesn't seem to get out of hand."
- Exposure latitude = 18 pts. "This is very good all the way down to -2 1/2
stops and up to +3 stops."
- Value for money = 19 pts. "Not bad at all."
- Total score: 89 pts.
- PP Verdict: "That this is a non-professional film should not put you off
as results are very good. There are no problems with grain or tonality at
correct exposures and it represents very good value for money."

PP's final verdict:
"I love a black & white, but no longer have a darkroom so C-41 mono
emulsions are the answer.
I would be hapy to use any of theese films and they do have a reassuring
exposure margin.
If you want mono than Ilford's XP2 is probably the one for you. Konika's
Monochrome VX is an excellent choice in situation with contrasty light but
under normal conditions more punch may be desirable.
Kodak has three similar performers. Black & White Select is a fine general
purpose film of very high quality and will suit most people's needs. T400CN
is very nice too, offers excellent value, and comes a close second.
But it's the new kid on the block that comes out on top. Portra 400BW gives
lovely contrast, excellent grain structure and good mono on colour paper. It
just wins."

That's for the summary. Each film had also a sample print (portrait) shown
along with a architecture shoot made on eposures from -3 stops to +3 stops
from the correct one. Some general description was also included but that
would be to much to copy.

Hope it was of some use for you as it got long.

Maciej Marchlewski