A friend asked me to photograph a dance class he was teaching tonight.

The view through my K100 was horrible, when I got home I tried to clean the viewfinder but it seems to have some sort of nasty film on the back glass of the eyepiece. Either that, or something was eating at some anti reflective coating (is there one?) on it.

I tried cleaning it with lens cleaning solution, but that did no good whatsoever. This, mind you, is not the camera that is missing the rubber eyecup. I haven't tried cleaning it with serious solvents, like berryman's B12 chemtool. I suspect that would cause more harm than good.

After class, Ted was copying my raw files off my SD card and something went wrong with the transfer of the files from the K20.

Some weird files showed up on it:
ls: USBC\033␀␀␀.␀€␀: File name too long
total 384
-rwxrwxrwx  1 lrc   staff   4096 Feb  3 22:44 ._.Trashes
drwxrwxrwx  1 lrc   staff  32768 Feb  3 22:44 .Spotlight-V100
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 lrc   staff  32768 Feb  4 01:17 .Trashes
drwxrwxrwx  1 lrc   staff  65536 Feb  4 01:17 .
drwxrwxrwx  1 lrc   staff  32768 Feb  4 01:18 .fseventsd
drwxrwxrwt@ 8 root  admin    272 Feb  4 01:20 ..

Fortunately a bit of research found a program called photorec which seems to be recovering the data.