> I'll do my part when you do yours.

IMO you ought not need to wait on others to act responsibly for you to do so
yourself. If everyone waited for the next fellow to act with maturity, no one
ever would.

> I suspect a lot of your wisdom comes from the back of a Rice Chex box.

Perhaps I am older than you. I recall when the back of boxes of Chex cereal
featured the "Chex Press," which in its own way included a lot of clever satire.

> However, in this case you have, apparently, decided to drop a customer for
> being too much trouble after lying to him about your pricing on your website.

You are mistaken. We did not drop this customer, nor did we lie. We had an
error on our site. When the error was uncovered it was corrected. The customer
was offered reasonable compromises which he declined. You are more bellicose
than he about this.

> >> There are times when a display of maturity and civility would be nice.
> >> Paul
> >
> > +1
>
> Henry, keep pushing and I'll forward these emails of yours to
> your boss. You are acting as an official representative of
> your company.
> This means you don't get to insult people.

It is unclear to me how agreeing with Paul can be considered an insult. You do
not have to forward this to my boss. He gets a printout of this stuff every
Friday afternoon.

>That was from me not Henry. You've really taken this in the toilet, Bill.
>Henry just came here to explain his company's position. Your personal attacks
>are, as usual, way out of line.
> Paul

Thank you, Paul.

> At the Robert Frank show at the Met Museum here there was a display of the
> contact sheets in the center of one room with the selections Frank had made
> along the walls - all from  "The Americans"
I saw a Garry Winogrand several years back.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garry_Winogrand
"Winogrand died of gall bladder cancer, in 1984 at age 56. As evidence of his
prolific nature, Winogrand left behind nearly 300,000 unedited images, and more
than 2,500 undeveloped rolls of film." The exhibit included enlarged contact
sheets of quite a few rolls of film and I recall telling my wife I'd be very
very uncomfortable having my work displayed in so raw and unedited a fashion.

> Last night I stopped by the Green Briar Camera Club
According to "The Big List" http://www.photo-ne.com/biglist/:
GREEN BRIAR
2650 W. Peterson, Chicago,
1st and 3rd Wednesdays, 7:30 p.m.
312-539-7080.

> The first time she had to go to the emergency room for something it just so
> happened that the head of surgery at the hospital was on duty, covering for
> one of his assistants.

I sliced a finger open to the bone a decade ago and the intern on duty got
called away before stitching me up. After a while they sent in a plastic
surgeon who told me I'd cut a tendon completely and had the intern simply
repaired the skin I'd have lost the ability to straighten the finger. I was
very lucky.

> Forgive me for asking, but doesn't the store and not the customer decide what
> deals will be offered for sale?  In that context, then it's the store's
> responsibility/fault if they offer a deal that doesn't turn a profit.

The issue of a company distancing itself from unprofitable customers is not
related to a store electing to run a sale or post a "loss leader." It has to do
with a customer who repeatedly turns every transaction into a welter of
difficulty. I don't mean a customer who only shops occasionally and I don't
mean a customer who calls customer service to check on shipping status once in
a while. I mean, for example, the customer who returns 85% of everything he or
she buys, or the customer who files a BBB complaint every time a return is made
the same day the RMA is written before the retailer's had a chance to process
the refund. Some customers, no matter what they buy,. Nor how often, simply
drain profit and resources to a level that is ultimately not sustainable.

> I think we should feel honored that Henry felt we deserved a reply. I'm only
> sorry that he was not treated with the respect to which any human being is
> entitled.
This is very gracious and much appreciated. Thank you. I am pleased (for the
most part) to participate here.

And for all of you who have sent William public and private emails chastising
me for sewering this thread, THANK YOU! I have no problem with a reasonable
disagreement and understand there's more than one opinion and appreciate that
people defend their opinions vehemently, but I think the personal invectives
have been more than unreasonable.

>  I don't blame the customers who are pointing out a problem with my business
> model for my mistakes. Often, they become the best customers.
For once, I agree with you. Customers who help us understand where we need to
improve are a valuable cherished asset. That's not the same as the customer who
drains resources and kills all profit and does so time and time again.

> On an individual transaction basis, Bill's mis-priced milk scenario stands
> and the online store has exactly the same responsibilities to the customer as
> a brick and mortar store. The money is the same, why is everything else not
> the same?

For the same reason banks treat card-present (store) and card-absent (phone or
web) transactions differently. They are different and the law recognizes this.

http://www.omahacameraclub.net/

> Thanks Mark for putting some sanity back into this thread.
+1

> It's one thing for Bill Robb to insult Henry Posner, Bill Robb is known for
> this sort of behaviour.
IMO not something I'd brag about. YMMV.

> It is something else entirely for B&H Photo to insult Bill Robb, who has been
> a good customer of theirs.
I do not believe I have insulted you. If I am mistaken, feel free to point the
incident out to me.

> And for all of you who have sent me public and private emails
> chastising me for sewering this thread, please be assured that
> unless I am specifically invited to post to it again, I am most likely done
> with it.

How's that plan working? :-)

 -- -

 regards,