On 9 February 2010 21:17, Rob Studdert <distudio.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/02/2010, jtainter <jtain...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>> Can anyone calculate how large (diameter) the front element of the DA* 20 F2
>> will be? This lens will have to be larger than the FA 20 F2.8. Sigma's 20
>> F1.8 takes, IIRC, an 82 mm filter. So this will probably take a 77 mm.
>> filter.
>
> I don't think that the front element for the cropped sensor 20mm lens
> would need to be nearly as large as the FF 20mm lenses but still that
> lens pictured does look kind of small, it would be a 58mm filter at
> most.

Rob (and JTainter),

The front element is precisely the one that doesn't change
(substantially) with format size. A lens that is f/1 will have a front
element diameter no smaller than the focal length of the lens.  For
each stop that you slow down the lens from f/1, the diameter can
decrease by square root of 2, or aprox. 1.4 time. So the minimum
diameter for the front element of a 20mm f/1 lens is 20/1 = 20mm; for
f/1.4 it's 20/1.4 = 14mm; for f/2 it's 20/1.4/1.4 = 20/2 = 10mm.

Except this is all wrong, because Pentax's register distance is
45.46mm, and lenses wider than 45mm will start bringing their rear
element closer and closer to the film/ccd plane. Because there is a
mirror in the way in SLRs, extreme wide angle lenses use a different
optical construction than standard and long focal lengths, it's called
retrofocus, or inverted telephoto. In this design, the front element
is much larger than the aforementioned formula would decree. How
large? As far as I know, it depends on the design, although I'd gladly
hear about any formulas dictating minimum required size independently
of the design.

So I suppose I didn't really give you an answer, huh?  :-)  In
practical terms, a Pentax filter size is always smaller (or equal)
than that for the equivalent Sigma lens  :-D  But seriously, once upon
a time Pentax designed a 20mm f/1.4 prototype lens and it had a filter
diameter of 77mm:

http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/primes/_prototype/K20f1.4.html

The very nice (and compact) FA 20mm f/2.8 has a 67mm diameter, which
could maybe be retained considering we'd be increasing the entrance
pupil by 1 stop, but also reducing the FoV by about 1 stop, for a DA
20mm f/2. Of course, we also have to allow space for weather sealing,
and maybe SDM gadgetry (this is just a guess). But I think that if
they want to, they could keep the filter size at 67mm.

Cheers,

 --M.

--

    http://EnticingTheLight.com