From: "P. J. Alling"
On 2/10/2010 6:29 PM, frank theriault wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Miserere<miser...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>

>> I have more practical reasons for hating contests: I never win, even
>> though my entry is always clearly the best.
>>
> Me too!
>
> Mind you, since I never enter, it's even harder for me to win...
>
> ;-) >
> cheers,
> frank

Sounds like the old man who dies and asks to see God. After being ushered before the allmighty, he says:

God,.I was a good man, a pious man, all I needed to was more money, to do more good works. Though I prayed and prayed, why didn't you ever let me win the lottery, instead of all those sinners.

God gently replied: Murry, did you ever buy a ticket?

My favorite of all those stories is Mother Smith ...

The weather is bad; hard rain's a comin'. Two men drive up to Mother Smith's place in a pickup truck to find her in her rocker on the front porch.

"Mother Smith! A hard rain's a fallin'. The weather-man says there's gonna be a flood. We come to take you to the higher ground."

Mother Smith replies, "No. The Lord will provide." And she keeps right on a rockin'.

When the water gets up to the front porch, along comes a man in a rowboat.

"Mother Smith! The rain's still comin' down and the weather-man says the flood is gonna just get deeper. I come to take you to the higher ground."

Mother Smith replies, "I have faith in the Lord. He will provide." And she keeps right on a rockin'.

As the flood worsens, Mother Smith is forced up onto the roof, when along comes a man in a helicopter.

"Mother Smith! That roof is soon going to be under water soon. Your house will be swept away. I've come to take you to the higher ground."

Mother Smith replies, "My faith in the Lord is unwavering. He will be my higher ground."

Mother Smith drowns.

When she reaches heaven and faces the throne, she says, "God, I kept my faith in you. Why didn't you save me?"

God says, "But Mother Smith, didn't I send two men in a pickup truck to take you to the higher ground? Didn't I send you a man in a row boat?"

"I even sent you a man in a helicopter. Three times I sent for you."

"Why didn't you go with one of them?"