Not by a computer with LR installed, but iirc it's in the "import"
dialogues. An option to choose the size of previews rendered at import
that have at least to settings, "Standard" and "1:1".

I think it will also help to reserve a lot of disk space for preview
cacheing, but I don't recall exactly where that setting is tweaked.
:-(

Jostein

--
http://www.alunfoto.no/galleri/