On 19-02-2010 19:02, Scott Loveless wrote:

I know quite a few people with concealed carry permits.

Where I live one can get such a permit. Unlike in US however, it's nearly impossible here unless you are a top politician or other criminal (though not/yet convicted) type.

Just found that as of 2009 there was 305k permits issued in Poland for all kinds of firearms (including sports, hunting etc).
I am surprised it's that many.

So I do not know anyone having gun/permit, nor anyone wanting one.
Probably because I don't know any gangsters, any politicians, and the few lawyers I know are yet to step up in their food chain :)

And I would not feel safer carrying a gun/knife/pointed stick/banana/whatever - I assume that the attacker knows the gun business better than DTP, just like I know DTP better (I hope:) than guns/knives/pointed sticks/bananas.

Side story: with a couple of friends we go every other weekend to put some mud on our XJ jeeps (extinct in US since cash for clunkers, so I heard:)
We go to an abandoned army training area outside the city.
One afternoon we met there bunch of teenagers overdosing their beer(?) after what seemed to be a paintball party. They found it worthwhile to all shoot for a minute or two at us in our poor clunkers stuck in mud. A stupid/minor event, nevertheless I felt lucky that it's rather difficult around here for garden variety teenage fxxxheads to get real weapons.

tm