Larry, I had a couple of D1's but not any more. I do have a D1x, which I
like.Very good on color..Joe

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry Colen" <l...@red4est.com>
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Sunday, February 21, 2010 4:43:31 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: K10 20K

On Feb 20, 2010, at 6:31 PM, John Sessoms wrote:

> From: Larry Colen

>>> Pentax

>> But isn't the real question, "how many of them were keepers?"   :)
>
> I think a better question might be are you getting MORE keepers? And
> Why?

There was a "smiley" at the end of that sentence, after all.

> For myself, my percentage of keepers has gone up only slightly
> because my standards have risen. What I might have considered a
> keeper before I started shooting digital, I wouldn't consider one now.

But you're right, that it's not just the number of the keepers, but
the quality.  Remember that link I posted about the stages of a
photographer?

> While at the same time, I'm more willing to "take chances", to try
> and make images I wouldn't have thought I could make before ...
> because the few times I did try to make them I failed.

This is certainly true with my photography.  I'm at the stage where I
can usually get the shot, by experimenting seven ways from Sunday, and
bracketing in three dimensions.

I'm afraid that I'm not yet to the point where I can usually just go
in and nail a shot on the first try, though it is often one of the
first tries that does end up being the best.  It is amazingly helpful
to not only be able to bracket to get the shot, but to be able to look
at all the attempts and learn from them.

Unfortunately, I'm also still at the point where the most effective
way of improving the quality of my work is learning to throw away more
of it.