I've used collapsible rubber hoods for years - never a problem & they take up very little space when collapsed.

Kenneth Waller
http://www.tinyurl.com/272u2f

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cotty" <cotty...@mac.com>
Subject: Re: 50mm lenses and flare

On 21/2/10, Bob Sullivan, discombobulated, unleashed:

Gee, just get a 49mm or 52mm screw in metal lens hood from somebody's
scrap bin.
Screw-in is better than clip-on (& fall-off).  Metal is more
protective in crashes than plastic.
Any of the standard hoods 50mm lens hoods are wide enough to not
vignette on the 1.5x sensor.

Bob, good advice. But consider plastic - when you ding a metal hood, it
often dents where plastic will usually retain its shape. Or shatter
dramatically! Personally I have always had clip-ons and never had a
problem with them falling off - better still, they are usually
reversible and will clip on in the other direction when not in use.
Also, if you consider that a 1.5 crop sensor is seeing 'less' of the
picture-taking area with a given lens than a 35mm film camera, then a
deeper hood would seem a better choice - and of course not too deep
otherwise it will vignette.

.02c

--

Cheers,