Can't say what my "EXC" really means compared to your "B"... It's very
subjective.

The 50/1.7 is an excellent choice in 50s. It's sharper wide open than
the 1.4 model and handles close up work better. The lens formula is
the same from M to A to F. The As were cheapened with a plastic
aperture ring that occasionally fails but is very fixable. The f/1.4
models are only slightly faster and have slightly smoother bokeh, but
past f/2.8 it's hard to tell a difference; they are made a little
better, however. Stick with A or FA models in a 50/1.4, they share the
same optical formula and are superior performers to the earlier
models.

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com