"David A. Mann" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>  Last week I finally gave in to that nagging voice in the back of my head after
> about two years, and went to talk to my insurance agent regarding my photo
> gear.
>
>  It turns out that under my current house contents policy, they will only pay
> "market value" for any "camera or accessory" up to NZ$1500.  But if I
> upgrade the policy (at very little extra cost) it becomes _replacement_ value up
> to NZ$2000, unless specifically listed on the policy.
>
>  So I went home, made out a list of my most valuable gear: totalling 1 body, 7
> lenses and a spot meter, and took it to the camera shop for an "official"
> valuation which I just received back today.
>
>  I sure hope you're all well covered because some of this stuff is not cheap.  A
> new SMC-A 15mm/3.5 was quoted at 5 times what I paid for it secondhand
> about two years ago.  At least you can still get those new.  I suspect the values
> I was given for the A*85/1.4 and A*300/4 were for the FA*85/1.4 and
> FA*300/4.5 respectively.
>
>  Pretty soon I'll finally be well covered financially for any loss, but that won't
> cover the heartbreak and the inconveniece of not having the gear so I'll have to
> remain as vigilant as always (paranoid may be a more suitable word).
>
>  I do wonder about my negs and slides though.  Maybe I'll discuss that with the
> insurance people tomorrow but it will be hard to come up with any kind of value
> on them, especially as they're not being used commercially (at this time).
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Dave
>
> David A. Mann, B.E. (Elec)

I was in a similar state insurance wise until I got my 600/4.0, then I got coverage
for replacement value & away from home.  There is still one warning though, the
insurance will only cover up to $1500 for damages or loss of equipment while it is in
a car.  The insurance rep said that the reason for such a low coverage for equipment
in a car is because theft from cars is so high.  The equipment is fully covered if I
damage it while hiking in the mountains, if it falls of a tripod, I drop it, or if the
house burns, but not if it is in a car, not even if I am in the car at the same time
of damage or loss.

I got into a lengthy discussion with the insurance rep over the issue of loss or
damage of equipment while it is in a car & they are very rigid about that point.
Coverage is to the maximum of 1500 even if it is damaged in a motor vehicle accident
while I am in the car or if someone steals it from my car while I am in it trying to
fight them off.

I would like to know if insurance companies other PMDLers use (especially Canadians)
give better coverage to equipment while it is in a car.

--
David S.
Nature and wildlife photography http://www.sheppardphotos.com