On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 03:34:41PM -0500, Mark Roberts scripsit:
> The thinking of the thugs with badges undoubtedly goes like this: A
> real terrorist is almost certainly going to use as inconspicuous a
> camera as possible, but if he does no one will blame me if I miss it.

People with large cameras have money, and film the police, which gets
them in trouble.  This tends to increase insecurity.  It has very little
to do with terrorism when dealing with actual police.

It's all about insecurity management; once you start thinking that
people are The Enemy (and you don't know which ones! it could be
anyone!) your capacity to do effective insecurity management goes away.

If you look at actual crime stats, the trend is for less and less
violent crime.  But that doesn't sell advertising slots on the nightly
news, so that's not what people hear repeated, and repeat *anything*
enough and it becomes true.

-- Graydon