2010/2/28 Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com>:

> What I'm wondering is how much of this
> is due to superior metering, and how much is due to the D700 having more
> dynamic range, giving a bit more latitude in the metering.

My understanding of dynamic range is that it is the number of EV that
the brightest and the darkest areas may be apart at any given ISO
settings for the sensor to be able to record the subject correctly
without drowned out areas in the image. Are you perhaps referring to a
superior recording range of the sensor sort of around the given
exposure settings? You could easily find out by bracketing or
deliverately over- and underexposing by the same amount the same shot
in RAW on a D300 and a D700 and looking at the results in RAW and
seeing how many stops of correction you can coerce out of each
identical pair of RAWs. Other than that, I can't think of if and where
such information would be buried in a spec sheet.
happy hunting!
cheers
ecke
btw hardly get a chance to look at all images sent around here but i
do notice your good and consistently high output - nice going larry =)