Frank Theriault wrote:

> Just 'cause you do it for a living doesn't mean that you can't still
> enjoy doing it in your spare time, even if you may not particularly
> enjoy the type of photography that you may find that you have to do
> professionally.

I'd agree with both of you. [see sitting on fence]
My hobby was IT and has now also been a success career for 6 years.
However, I shouldn't think I'd like the pressure of creating photographs for
someone else. Almost every photograph I take has a target audience of one...
me. If anyone else likes it, that's great. If not, it doesn't matter. (well
that's mostly true - I wish someone had liked "Bollard")
Now if someone was paying me to create a photograph that _they_ like, that's
a different matter.
Then again - I guess I could justify buying more gear... :-)

Simon

Frank Theriault wrote:

> Just 'cause you do it for a living doesn't mean that you can't still
> enjoy doing it in your spare time, even if you may not particularly
> enjoy the type of photography that you may find that you have to do
> professionally.

 One thing I learned in life is that there is an inherent danger in turning
your
hobby into a career.

 When I was young I was into electronics in a big way, so becoming an
electrical engineer was the natural thing to do.  I later learned that one
of the
reasons I was so enthusiastic was because I could play around with whatever
interested me at the time.  Now I get told what to do so the relative lack
of
freedom killed off my enthusiasm a bit.  The limited job market for
engineers
down here doesn't help things much.

 I do think that if you get the _right_ job within your chosen
"hobby-career"
you will really enjoy yourself.  You've just got to make sure that what your
boss
tells you to do is what you wanted to do in the first place :)

 Its only recently that I've started a couple of electronic projects in my
spare
time.  Partly to rejuvenate my interest, partly to get my brain going again,
and
partly for commercial spinoffs that could help me retire young ;)  Anybody
wanna buy a picture?

Cheers,

- Dave

David A. Mann, B.E. (Elec)

"Why is it that if an adult behaves like a child they lock him up,  while
children are allowed to run free on the streets?" -- Garfield
-
This message is from the Pentax-Discuss Mail List.  To unsubscribe, go to
http://www.pdml.net and follow the directions. Don't forget to visit the
Pentax Users' Gallery at http://pug.komkon.org .