On 3/8/2010 12:54 PM, William Robb wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "P. J. Alling"
Subject: Re: Developing Chemical Disposal

Silver Nitrate is a antiseptic, a bactericide. You don't want it in a septic system as it will have that effect on the flora that breaks down waste. There's a lot of silver in the fixer when it's exhausted, something like 90% of the amount originally present, you can recover that.or you can build your own which considering the price of silver might be worth while. You might want to look into one of these.

http://www.porters.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Silver+Magnet

I believe that the dissolved silver in fixer is part of a sulpher compund (silver sulphite).
I could be wrong though.
Did the OP ever say if he was using a septic field or just a tank that was pumped out periodically?

William Robb

I haven't looked at the chemestry in a long time. A little silver nitrate can kill a lot of bacteria though. Recovering the silver before discarding the solutions just strikes me as good economics, if you're processing enough film. It's up to you to decide what's enough. I'll bet the break even point on silver recovery is sooner than the break even point on installing solar power panels, and I know people who have done that recently.

--
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Courier
New;}}