From: Boris Liberman
On 3/12/2010 6:32 PM, Larry Colen wrote:
> I know that what we call cookies, you call biscuits.
>
> What do you call what we call biscuits?
>
> American biscuits?
>
> --
> Larry Colen l...@red4est.com sent from i4est

We've just watched few episodes from "Stephen Fry in America" and my wife asked how come Fry being the Brit was so easily communicating with his American hosts. To which I replied that the differences between British English and American English are there, but they are not *that* big and definitely all the fuss around this is significantly bigger than its reason.

Reckon I was pretty wrong  ;-) .

Not that wrong.

It's said the British and Americans are two peoples separated by a common language. But there's enough good will to tide us over while we figure each other out - or at least sort out the language differences enough to communicate.

I expect the average British tourist here in the states only takes one meal to figure out the difference between biscuits and biscuits.

And when I was over there, it took me maybe 30 seconds to find out that if you want a room with a private bathroom, it's "on sweet" (en suite?).

All I had to do was ask the nice lady at the tourist office and she explained it to me. And I only had to explain what I wanted one time before someone told me all I had to do was to ask for "drip coffee".