Ken and Bob, thanks for your comments.  I really appreciate the suggestions.

Ken, the wall to the right of the photo is lit by fluorescents facing downward,
and so the pavement in front of the bike was completely blown out.  Decreasing
the exposure enough to have any detail in front of the bike made the noise
unacceptable in back of the bike (ISO 1600 on a K10D).  So, I was kinda stuck...

Bob, I brightened the wall by 2/3 of a stop; more than that made the noise
really ugly.  The brightened version is here:

Cheers,

Rick

http://photo.net/photos/RickW