Larry Colen wrote:
On 3/15/2010 2:00 PM, Derby Chang wrote:
Bruce Walker wrote:
Bruce Walker wrote:
Derby Chang wrote:

You can't deny this stuff takes some amazing physical dexterity. I find it mesmerising to watch

http://members.iinet.net.au/~derbyc/10/10_03/10_03_polecandy/index.htm

Terrific gallery, Derby! Very effective use of the wide view in a number of them. And I really like that parting shot of just the legs and the audience.

What lenses were you shooting with there?

Oh nevermind, there's the info bottom of the index page:

K10D, Sigma 20mm/1.8 EX DG, DA 55mm/1.4

That fast Sigma is surely a good one to have at live indoor events.

Cheers!

-bmw

Thanks Bruce, and thanks commenters.

I like the 20 very much. Only thing is, matrix metering doesn't work so well in contrasty situations like this. Probably not the fault of the lens, but the dancers' highlights were blow out a lot. Had to use spot metering most of the time.

Did the lighting on the dancers change that much? I'd think you could just dial the metering in manually and go with that. That's what I usually do in these situations.

I've been very happy with the optics of my 20, I'm still learning how to get the most out of it. It's great for indoors, or when you want the background to play a prominent role.

The Albion has quite good lighting actually, but that also means the lighting desk has lots of options. Spotlight, coloured gels, strobes. And since the two poles were lit differently, with the dancers going from one to the other, it defeated me going manual exposure. I was concentrating on other things, I guess.

Don't get me wrong, I love what the 20 can do in a cramped space. And it was full house.

--

der...@iinet.net.au
http://members.iinet.net.au/~derbyc