From: Scott Loveless
On 3/20/10, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:

>  On Mar 20, 2010, at 6:59 AM, Rick Womer wrote:
>

> > Scott,
> >
> > You can fly round-trip from PHL to Chicago Midway for $138 if you book
> early.  That's cheaper than driving.
> >

>  When I went to Chicago last May, I discovered to my dismay that renting a
> car at the other airport was about 1/3 the cost of what it was at the
> airport I flew into. It was well worth $20 to take a bus from one airport to
> the other.
>
>  Of course, I could return the car at either airport, so there was only one
> bus ride needed.

Renting a car at an airport is almost always more expensive.  The
theory is that everyone wants to drop them off just before they get on
the plane, and then the car company has to redistribute their fleet.
I think it's scam to justify price gouging.

Some governments assess local option taxes & fees on airport rentals as well. At least that was the explanation from the rental company in Colorado Springs.

Enterprise delivers, but even if you rented from one of the less expensive off airport locations, the extra fee was applied if you wanted it delivered to you at the airport. It was about $10 a day difference.

I just caught the shuttle to Ft. Carson, and had them pick me up from there to get the cheaper rate. When I was ready to turn it in, they had a courtesy shuttle to take me back to the airport.