On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 10:41 AM, Bruce Dayton <bkday...@daytonphoto.com> wrote:
> I'll do my best to answer.
>
> Focus points are changed via menu or quick button access.  You see on
> the lcd which focus point(s) is active.  For someone who changes them
> all the time shot by shot, this would be very clumsy.  For someone
> who picks one and leaves it, it works pretty well.

That would be me, pick and stay, so no issue there.

>There is a new
> choice besides the center, single point or all points - it is center
> cluster - think of it more like center weighted vs spot metering, but
> for AF instead.  It uses the center 5 points and gives a broader base
> to work from when the subject may be slightly off center.  In
> practice it works rather well and doesn't have the performance
> penalties of camera working with all points.

Humm, interesting idea. Might be a good system for me.

>So far, I have found
> the K-x to be better at AF than the K20, especially at focus
> tracking.  I have also found the K20 to be better than the K10 at
> focusing across the board.

So i have heard, which is good.

> As to kit lens - it is the same optics as the other kit lenses.
> Rather good for what it is.  I suspect, that final size of print may
> have something to do with acceptability.

8x10 is about all they would produce, me, maybe an 11x14 once in a while.

>The other thing to consider
> is the speed which affects DOF.  If you want a real shallow portrait,
> f/3.5-5.6 is not as good.  My daughters use the kit lenses all the
> time for their portrait stuff and they look just fine.  I personally
> use the DA* 16-50/2.8 or equivalent rather than the kit lens.  But
> when size and weight are paramount, the kit lens gets the nod.

I;'m thinking more for the outdoor equine portrait work. As long as
the back ground has a slight blur to it, should be fine. Any thing for
the wedding will be mostly the DAF 50 2.8 or the 77 ltd. I don't have
anything smaller than the 50 right now. Oh wait, i have the A 28,
which i like, so good there.

> The high ISO is plenty good enough - the bigger issue would be
> control of lighting.  If you want catchlights in eyes, or control of
> shadows, then you may need flash or reflectors no matter how much
> light you have.

Ya hopefully i can get someone, parent Liz etc to hold a reflector for
me. They want as much natural light and as little flash as main source
as possible. I have not seen the hall yet, but the flash would surely
come out there.

>As for needing flash as the main illuminator of the
> subject, the high ISO will help you there.  Here is a shot at ISO
> 3200 with no flash fill or reflectors:
> http://www.daytonphoto.com/PAW/imgp1200-1.htm
>
> Since my son is the proud owner of my old K10D, I don't use it at all
> anymore, but do have the K20D.  The K20 has worked a little better
> than the K10 with flash from all my usage (lots of weddings and
> portraits with both).

My K10D is just so hit and miss, and i get much better luck with my
D200 so i use that if its flash as main source or fill.

> So far, the K-x seems to do a little better
> with metering than the K20.  Not having needed as much flash because
> of the high ISO capability, I haven't done extensive comparisons.  I
> am pretty confident that it will outperform the K10D.

Glad to hear about the metering.

> I can say that right now, the K-x is more my primary camera than the
> K20, which is more of a primary camera than the K10.  There are very
> few things the K20 can do better than the K-x.  If I had to choose
> one body, it would probably be the K-x.  As it stands right now, if I
> only take one body with me, it is the K-x.  If I take both bodies,
> the K-x is the primary.  I strongly suspect you would do the same
> with your K10.

Probably.:-)

Thanks

Dave